Alexandra Morris wearing a dress, designed and handmade in Zanzibar by our artists at the Sewin Group. Video composed and created by Josh Bruce. Shot at Newcastle beach.
A Newcastle-based boutique, curating quirky African fashion, recycled art & lifestyle products, lovingly handcrafted by the people of Africa.
The idea is to support artisans and women collectives from different parts of Africa, thereby creating a base for skilled sustainable employment within their communities and keeping their art alive.
Our product range includes:
- Clothing & accessories made from traditional African fabrics featuring bold colours & patterns
- Recycled art sculptures made from discarded flip-flops
- Hand-woven homeware, tableware and toys
Our products are independently designed & hand-crafted by artisans & are often one-of-its-kind.
Meet Shivangi Maheshwari, aka Shiv - founder & curator of The Colour Bug. She is a traveler by nature, an accountant by profession and an artist at heart.
Shiv is an Indian born Australian, who spent half her life living in East Africa (Kenya and Tanzania), and has proudly made Newcastle her new home.
We are all about:
- Creating unique experiences
- Being passionate, bold and fun
- Promoting culture & craftsmanship
- Empowering independent artists and women collectives through fair trade & supply chain transparency
- Leaving a lighter footprint on our environment by re-purposing & recycling our materials.
We are keen on building long-term, authentic relationships with our makers and only work with those who share our vision of ethical, sustainable trade.
Our products wouldn't exist if it weren't for the passion, craftsmanship & dedication of our artisans. Their lives are truly amazing & we are proud to share their inspiring stories with you.
Continue the journey here....